Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Chicken Enchilada Soup

I haven't posted lately.  Mainly because most of my recipes haven't been very "photo-worthy".   However, this one is too good not to share.  As usual, this isn't my own personal recipe, just one I'm passing along, this time from a co-worker.  Oddly enough, I didn't change this recipe at all.  Just the toppings.  This makes quite a few servings and would be great for a group. This is on my menu next time everyone gathers at my boyfriends house to watch a game.  Keep in mind that some of these ingredients can be purchased "low sodium" or "Healthy Request" if you're trying to make this a little better for you.

2 cans cream of mushroom soup
2 cans cream of chicken soup
2 cans cream of celery soup
2 cans cheddar cheese soup
2 (15 oz) cans of chicken broth
1 (15 oz) can of diced tomatoes with green chilis
1 jar Pace Medium Picante
1 medium onion, finely chopped
4 gloves fresh garlic, minced
1 tsp. red chili powder (or to taste..it wasn't overly spicy with 1 tsp.)
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup cilantro, fresh chopped
4 cups chicken breast, cooked and cut to bit size
1 pkg flour tortillas

In large stockpot, combine and whisk together until smooth, all 8 cans of soup.  Add chicken broth, tomatoes, salsa, onion, garlic, chili powder, salt and pepper.  Bring all ingredients to a full boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.  Add cilantro and chicken.  Simmer another hour.

While soup is simmering, make your toppings.  Cut flour tortillas into small thin strips and deep fry in hot oil in skillet until lightly brown.  Drain on paper towel.  Sprinkle with salt.

Now, my only "variation" is that I didn't make the tortillas and instead put shredded cheese and soup cream on top.  I'd guess the tortillas add a nice crunch though.  This makes great leftovers.  In fact, like most soups, the leftovers are even better.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Sweet Baker designed by A Mommy's Blog Design (© Copyright 2012)