Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Christmas Candy!

I get carried away with chocolate.  This comes with years and years of working at a restaurant that sold candy decorating supplies...candy thermometers, chocolate molds, chocolate every color of the rainbow, coconut flakes, paramount crystals, and probably 40 different flavors of flavored oil.  I usually plan on one or two chocolate projects, and end up with 10.  The three easiest are peppermint bark, oreo balls, and thin mints. I made all three for a recent potluck.


1.) The peppermint bark is the easiest.  In theory.  I say 'in theory' because making it consists of melting white chocolate and adding red and green peppermint crunch to it.  Finding the peppermint crunch, however, can be difficult.  I have mine mailed to me from Pea-fections each year because I can't find it anywhere else.  I'm certain there are similar substitutes, but I love this kind the best.  Amazon has it here. Once the ingredients are combined, pour it out onto a piece of wax paper and let it dry. Break into pieces and voila, peppermint bark!

2) Oreo balls.  Also very easy to make, and easier to find the ingredients.  Crunch up one bag of Oreos.  I used double stuffed, mainly because the filling is the best part, right?!  Now, by crunch, I mean reeeaally crunch.  I use my Magic Bullet for this.  A food process would work too.  I tried to use a rolling pin (in my house this is an empty wine bottle) and a gallon sized ziplock bag.  This was a disaster for a number of reasons including 1) the pieces didn't get small enough and 2) they stuck to the bag because of the cream filling. Disaster.  Anyway, once they are all crunched up into the consistency of dirt (appetizing, no?) then add a bar of cream cheese and smoosh it all together.  Roll into balls just bigger than a marble, set on a cookie sheet covered in wax paper and freeze for half an hour.  Meanwhile, melt some milk chocolate.  A double broiler is best.  If you don't own one, you can use a microwave.  Just put it in for a minute, take it out, and stir.  Then 30 seconds. Stir. And repeat in 30 second increments.  You do not want to overheat the chocolate.  If it's too thick use some paramount crystals to thin it.  Do NOT use water or milk.  It will cause the chocolate to seize up, basically it becomes the consistency of a brownie and it's ruined. If you didn't plan ahead and buy paramount crystals you can use a few DROPS of oil. Preferably one without a lot of flavor (I use canola.)  Dip half frozen oreo balls into the chocolate with a toothpick. Set on wax paper to dry. If you want a white chocolate drizzle, melt chocolate the same way, and put it in a ziplock back.  Cut the teeny tiniest whole in the corner and drizzle.

3) Last are the thin mints.  Melt dark chocolate and when completely melted, add a few drops of peppermint oil.  Creme de menthe oil also works fabulously, but it's harder to find.  Once this is complete, dip Ritz crackers into the chocolate and set on wax paper to dry.

I like making this combination together because it uses white, milk, and dark chocolate. The thin mints are usually a favorite.  I don't usually do a drizzle on them like I did in the photo above, but I've already admitted I got carried away.  Good luck with your candy making and Merry Christmas!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Sweet Baker designed by A Mommy's Blog Design (© Copyright 2012)