Monday, December 24, 2012

Homemade Chicken and Dumplings

Problem: I haven't decided if making the dumplings from scratch is worth it or not.  One one hand, you don't get all the extra "stuff" that is thrown in a can of Pillsbury biscuits, but on the other...it's messy. As in, flour EVERYWHERE kind of messy. Even more so if your boyfriend intentionally uses the flour to draw what I assume was Indian warpaint on your face.  If you have a large (really large) cutting board, it might be worth it to start from scratch.  This recipe is from Pioneer Woman's page, Tasty Kitchen.  I tried to find the exact recipe to link to, but I couldn't find it, so I'm plagiarizing a bit, but welcome to the internet.
Here's what you'll need:

2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 pinch salt
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup milk
2 quarts chicken broth
3 cups cooked chicken (I used a rotisserie chicken from Kroger)

Combine your first three ingredients in a bowl. Cut the butter into the flour mix.  Cutting it means either using a potato masher, or two knives so you end up with a crumbly mix.  Add the milk and mix with a fork until you have a ball.  Flour your large cutting board (or your boyfriends countertop..oops) and use a rolling pin on the dough.  Cut the dough into squares using a pizza butter.  They don't have to be perfect.  Using a floured spatula, lay your dumplings on a heavily floured plate.  After the first layer, add flour on top and just keep stacking the dumplings.

Meanwhile, bring your broth to a boil.  Add the dumplings one at a time, and stir as you add them.  When you add them they will balloon up and almost triple in size.  Keep in mind they will go down! I kept thinking I was going to have too many dumplings so I didn't add all of them and by the time they cooked down, I wished that I had.  Cook them for 15-20 minutes. Add the cooked chicken to the pot and allow to heat up and you are done!  The flour you added to the dumplings will thicken up the broth.  If it were up to me, I'd add peas, corn, celery and carrots and make it almost like a pot pie filling, but the boyfriend likes the basics and really, it doesn't need the veggies.  It tastes great just like it is! Enjoy!

**Keep in mind you can always skip all the work and just add Pullsbury biscuits.  Cut them into quarters, and add some flour to the broth to thicken it.  Delicious either way!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Sweet Baker designed by A Mommy's Blog Design (© Copyright 2012)