Monday, December 8, 2014

Carmelized Onion, Mushroom, Spinach Quesadilla

I'm alive! I post pretty often on my other blog, but I've neglected this one.  I'm sorry.  To be honest, it will probably continue to be hit-or-miss on posting.  I bought a house and, at some point, the counters are going to need some work.  My goal is to use a Giani Granite Kit on it, which requires  you to stay off the counters for around 2 weeks.  Until then...random ideas like this one may occasionally make their way onto this blog.  I'm on a mushroom, onion, spinach kick right now.  The mix can go on anything: quesadillas, pasta, etc.  Tonight it went on a quesadilla!

First I put a little olive oil in a cast iron skillet on medium-high heat and added thinly sliced onion.  Stir immediately to coat the onion with the oil.  Stir occasionally.  While this is cooking, I added more oil to another pan, added a combination of mushrooms and some minced garlic.  I ended up cooking the onion for around 30 minutes and the mushrooms for about 20.  

I don't know how that wine ended up in the picture.....

Anyway, add just a bit of balsamic vinegar to the onion and deglaze the pan.  Then, I added the mushrooms to the onions, and added spinach. Let the spinach cook down (less than 5 minutes). 

Then in another skillet (I used the same one that I cooked the mushrooms in) add a tortilla, mozzarella cheese, mushroom/onion/spinach mix, more mozzarella cheese, and a tortilla. 

Heat until warm and the cheese is melted, flip, and then EAT!  I added sour cream and started out with salsa, but in all honesty, I liked it better without the salsa.  Salsa covered up the carmlized/balsalmic flavor of the onions that is sooo good!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Sweet Baker designed by A Mommy's Blog Design (© Copyright 2012)